Smiling and Customer Experience. There is a natural link between the two. Many studies have shown the evidence that a smile is essential in your contact with customers. It may seem obvious, but in the many thousands of customer experience visits we conduct each year, we see that quite some organisations still miss out on opportunities to make a difference with a smile. In addition, all our studies show that the greeting and service-oriented additional sales are also important drivers for a higher NPS. Anyone who wishes to turn more customers into fans should not miss the latest conclusions of the so-called SMILING REPORT.
The SMILING REPORT is the result of an annual trend barometer conducted by the MSPA Europe/Africa in cooperation with Better Business World Wide. This study identifies the developments in three key drivers of customer experience:
- Add-on sales
The conclusions of this study are based on a sample of no less than 731,285 evaluations from 30 participating countries. Multi-Value/TLS also participated in this study.
What are our key findings?
- Belgium and France, with 91.1% and 88.9% respectively, have a top 10 position in the ranking of countries for the element smiling to customers.
- France and Belgium also score high on greeting of customers. The Netherlands, with an average score of 47.5%, still has a lot to learn from surrounding countries.
- France (61.2%), Belgium (56.5%) and Germany (53.2%) score well for additional sales. The Netherlands lags behind with an average of 16.4%.
FINDINGS PER COUNTRY
RESULTS IN THE NETHERLANDS
- The scores in greeting and add-on sales have dropped drastically in the past year to unprecedented low values. See graph. The Covid pandemic may have been responsible for this.
Greeting scores The Netherlands
Add-on sales The Netherlands
- Belgium has good scores on Smiling (91.1%), Greeting (78.4%) and Add-on Sales (56.5%). We see marginal shifts compared to previous years.
- Additional sales scores in the automotive sector are as high as 80.6%, while in Hospitality this is 61.3% and in Retail only 39.3%.
- France has good scores on Smiling (88.9%), Greeting (91%) and Add-on Sales (61.2%). We see marginal shifts compared to previous years.
- Additional sales scores in the automotive sector are a staggering 90.8%, while in Hospitality this is 67.7% and in Retail only 22.8%.
- Germany has the following scores on Smiling (72.6%), Greeting (90.4%) and Add-on Sales (53.2%). We see marginal shifts compared to previous years.
- Additional sales in the automotive sector score as high as 73.6%, where this is only 32.3% in the retail sector.